16 January 2009

one more chance?

What it is? SO let me take a few lines here to introduce myself to you all. My name is Sharlyn and I’ve known the Pegster since elementary school. Yeah, we go back like pig tails and knee-highs! I share the same passion for writing as she does (ask her how many times I asked her to put me onto somethin’, lol) and I was more than ready when she happily accepted my request to post something on P I E C E S. I hope that all of you will feel the same after reading this…so without further adieu; I give you my first post:



I have a thing with getting into unnecessary arguments. Sometimes they can be avoided, sometimes you just have to let the person know what time it is and keep it moving. What always seems to have me at a standstill is the apology. Most rational people will apologize after their evil doing. Others choose to half-ass their way out of the doghouse like “you know I’m sorry” Do I? This is the rule of thumb I’ve decided to live by: if ya don’t mean it, don’t say it! When you utter the words ‘I’m sorry’, you’re admitting fault. You’re also saying that you will try not to repeat it like your new favorite song (my current is Blame It On The Alcohol) because what happens when you hear it too much? It gets PLAYED OUT. Now somewhere in our upbringing, we were told it is polite to accept an apology, even if you don’t believe the person. Thank God I’m not like Peter Pan and I grew that a** up! No fairy dust needed, I say just politely decline. What good is it if it’s mumbled or followed by a “but”?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with what you're saying. i hate when people apologize or say something like "sorry, but..."

there shouldnt be a 'but' after that. it makes me feel the apology isnt sincere.

Kofi Bofah said...

We all must learn how and when to pick our battles.

N/A said...

Defi agree with meaning what you say when you apologize, but too often we give the person we're in conflict with too much power. Sometimes you have to move past te incident and the person within yourself, whether they own up to their mistake or not. Holding on to it and being mad is a choice we don't need to make. Don't sweat the small stuff, and at the end of the day, it's all small stuff.