01 December 2008

i know my status, do you?

Today marks the 20th anniversary of World Aids Day ...


I've witness firsthand people not directly infected, still affected. In other words, just because you aren't infected, doesn't mean you won't be affected if someone you know is.



Perfect Example --

I watched my cousin struggle growing up from the age of about 10 through present [
we are the same age]. She lost both her parents to AIDS and although her life continues, she is still affected. Imagine losing both parents [months apart] at that age? In my aunt's last days, she had trouble breathing. My cousin was deeply affected by her Mom's discomfort and lack of information from the healthcare staff. Due this personal childhood experience she was convinced that a career as physician would grant her the opportunity to have a greater role in patient care. This experience heightened her interest in the medical field [she is now a respiratory therapist and on her way to med school]. At the same time, she can honor her mother’s memory by educating others who are unaware.


There are a number of things you can do to raise awareness.
Get Involved ... if not for you, do it for someone you love.


I got my
Red Ribbon on ...

1 comment:

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

Touching story...

...I do know my status, thankfully, and I also know how imperative it is to know b/c I lost an aunt to AIDS as well. It's nothing to play with.